[Advaita-l] Fwd: Rama and Krishna are Jiva-s - Mahabharata

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:28:44 EDT 2017

Namaste Kalyanji,

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Kalyan <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I dont believe in the Vishnu vs Shiva debate but I am confident of one
> thing.

Well, thats interesting. You objected to Rama and Krishna being called as a
jIva ​by some quotations. Unless you agree that Shiva being called as a
jIva by anyone is equally objectionable, you partially believe in the
debate.

> Vaishnavaites do not believe Shiva can give moksha.​

​They are a few steps ahead of dvaitins in this area perhaps, since
Purandara Dasa prays to Shiva for a tailadhAravat manas in harI, which is
hopefully the means to their mokSha.

> So one can argue similarly that vaishnavas are criticizing Shaivism for
> doctrinal reasons alone.
>
> ​That very doctrine has been proven to be wrong by ​Appayya Dikshita
saying that the reasons for which Shiva is set aside as a jIva applied to
Rama or Krishna also.

On a related matter, I do not know as to why those who call themselves as
Vedantins following, Advaita Vedanta take to a non-Vedanta source as having
more authority in their doctrine.

​gurupAdukAbhyAm
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */
​