[Advaita-l] Did the Jains come later than Shankara?

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri May 12 02:35:19 EDT 2017

On Thu, 11 May 2017, कुवँर बिपिन चौहान via Advaita-l wrote:

> नमस्कार सभी को ।
>
> जैन पंथ भगवान विष्णु के मुंडी अवतार की देन है।
> रही बात शास्त्र प्रमाण की करपात्री जी महाराज के हस्तलिखित पुस्तकों का
> स्वाध्यन करें या ब्रह्म नाल काशी जी में गुरु बटुक शात्री जी से मिलें।
> जय राम

In the archives of this list you can find a post be me analyzing the
description of the "Buddha" avatar in Vishnu Purana and showing it could
apply equally to Jains as well Buddhists.

There are 24 prophets of the Jains called Tirthankars of whom Mahavir is
the last in this yuga-cycle.  Another earlier one is Rshabhadev who is
mentioned in the Bhagavata and other puranas as an avatara of Vishnu
Bhagavan.

I'm sure Shri Govindacharya knows this.  It does not seem likely a vidvan
of his calibre  would make such an elementary mistake.  I wonder if as the
"Jain view" he is refering to the great Hemachandra who holds a position
similar to Shankaracharya for Jains atleast Shvetambar ones.  He is
post-shankara in chronology as far as I can recall.