[Advaita-l] Fantastic Rudram Chamakam chanting by 21 Priests

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri May 5 12:28:04 EDT 2017

At the end of the day everyone has to look at shiShTaacaara and gain some
perspective on what and how to do something. My point being that not
chanting the pitR^i-medha prashnam at home is NOT a slam dunk by any means.
There are quite a few people in the other camp, including highly trained
shrautis and other such people.

In my view there are are two possibilities:

1. Realize the inner meaning of pitR^i-medham, realize why puruSha-suuktam
and the anuvaaka suvarNaM-gharmaM, both in prashnam 3, are used in BOTH the
antyeShTi as well the nara-medham. I don't have the time to go into details
here. But, there is a tradition in some parts of Tamil Nadu to chant
nara-medham, pitR^i-medham, upaniShads and kaaThakam all on dvaadashii
which points to what it means actually, OR
2. Buy into the theory that yama is waiting behind every closed door with
his noose, if pitR^i-medham is chanted at home

If nothing else, people should at least wonder why pitR^i-medham, of all
things, was included in the aaraNyakam right before the upaniShads. Along
with highly philosophical chapters such as citti-sruk, giving the inner
meaning of yaj~nas, inner meaning of the pravargyam in chapter 5, etc.
Seriously, someone would have to be seriously silly to include this
chapter, if some of these literal, bogey-man interpretations of this
anuvaaka are the ones taken into account. I think I'll just leave it at
that.

Rama

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:28 AM, Venkata sriram P via Advaita-l <