[Advaita-l] Generalizing the rule : 'n' sound changing to 'N'

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 22:43:26 EST 2017

Namaste

I heard Pundits from Mylapore saying Kooshmanda Homa Mantras and they
are changing 'na' to 'Na' like पुनः has become पुणः..
But according to Panini Sutra रषाभ्यां नो णः समानपदे this change is
not allowed. It may be there in Vedas. Kindly clarify.

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan via
Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> Dear Shrinivas,
>
> We can't willy-nilly invent rules. There are rules that already exist in
> the case of vedas. For example, the taittiriya praatishaakhya has a whole
> chapter on change of nakaara to Nakaara. Namely chapter 7 which begins with
> atha nakaaro Nakaaram. Every veda will have its own rules in its own
> praatishaakhya, Sometimes there are additional rules from other shikshA
> texts or just tradition which may either supplement the praatishaakhya or
> in rare cases over-rule it. uccaahaaraNam is learned by going to a guru who
> has done kramaanta-svaadhyaayam, and not picking up a book/books and
> inventing rules.
>
> Rama
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Shrinivas Gadkari via Advaita-l <
>
>> Namaste Shri Praveen,
>>
>> Thanks for confirming that there is no such standard rule.
>>
>> May be, to make sense of some mantras we may have to invoke
>> such non-standard rules which seem phonetically reasonable.
>> For example, we know that 'indha' and 'indra' can be
>> interchanged in mantras (Br. Ar. Up. 4.2.2 ).
>>
>> This is in some ways continuation of an old thread - making
>> sense of mantras by splitting them into smaller sounds - sometimes
>> individual sounds. May be, some people who have participated
>> in those discussions will say - oh no! not again. :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Shrinivas

Regards

-Venkatesh