[Advaita-l] Pitru Rina and progeny

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jun 22 00:13:14 EDT 2017

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I had heard once many years ago from a sannyasi that, in fact, by embracing sannyasa, seven generations of one's ancestors and seven generations of one's progeny are liberated.  Or perhaps my recollection of the calculation is off, and seven generations in total, three in either direction, are liberated.

>  Mere embracing the saNyAsa does not guarantee the liberation. Hence no question of liberation to his generations when he himself mere sanyasi and not jnAni.  However, there is a quote with regard to brahmajnAni  ( perhaps in muNdaka shruti  I reckon) and if one attains brahma jnana his next 7 generations would get liberation !!  IMO, we have to be careful before understanding these lines literally.  These are all a type of 'artha vAda' to eulogize the importance of brahma jnana.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar