[Advaita-l] Regarding Padmanabhaswamy

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 07:14:46 EDT 2017

Thanks for the reply V Subrahmanian.
I tried to get info from the official temple website but could not get a clear answer. If we observe the idol, Lord Ananta is assuming a jnana mudra and is clearly seen worshipping the Linga. It resembles how we worship the linga by keeping a water pot on top a linga, water dripping incessantly. However, the body is asleep. So I thought, is this yoga nidra? May be, may be not. Hence the doubt.
I am also interested to know about the historicity of this deity. It is said to be quite old. So I am wondering if this is the original representation of Narayana/Vishnu and that Ranganatha was conceived later by Ramanujacharya.