[Advaita-l] ‘Fie upon the forehead that is devoid of Bhasma’

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:50:53 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <

> Please see a related post:
>
> http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2010-June/024837.html
>
> Also, I remember having read about a bhAgavata sampradAya maTha affiliated
> to Shankara BhagavatpAda's philosophy, probably the Balekudru Matha, where
> the Yati wears a Gopi chandana in the morning and bhasma in the evening. It
> is claimed that this is the only advaita pITha maTha in Dakshina Kannada
> and Udupi districts combined.
>
> I was able to find the webpage of the maTha for those who are interested:
>
> http://balekudrumut.org/home.html
>
> Anand

Thank you Anand ji, for the references. Actually there are some smarta
families in Tamil nadu and Kerala who adhere to the morning-gopi chandana
and evening-bhasma tripundra practice. I have myself seen such elders.
Youngsters of those very families of the modern times do not meticulously
practice that dual-pundra dharana; they stick to only one, mostly guided by
convenience, peer influence, etc. Nevertheless all such practices are
happily accepted by śiṣṭa-s without causing any ill feeling to anyone by
any other member.  Just one sample is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPOvG91CNBQ

and another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeqAiIfQKSs