[Advaita-l] Without Shakti, Brahman has no role

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jun 1 04:26:28 EDT 2017

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Shakti and Shakta abedha is quite conspicuous in bhAshya.  If we equate this shankti with mAyA there will be no problem since mAyA as brahma Shakti which is  too,  quite evident in bhAshya vAkya-s.  But when mAyA is used as synonym to avidyA then all the problem starts and we have to conclude that brahma has the potency which is avidyA !!  sarvashaktitva and sarvajnatva are the inherent svabhAva/quality of brahman (itareya introductory bhAshya)  which will be executed during srushti  and will be in avyakta rUpa (unmanifested form) when brahman is nishkriya.  And again, as has been said umpteen times earlier avidyA is jeevAshrita (svAbhAvika and evident in day to day vyavahAra - vide adhyAsa bhAshya) whereas mAya as prakruti / Shakti is IshvarAdheena (mAyenantu maheshwaraM - shruti / daivee hyeshA guNamayee mama mAyA - geetAchArya) these two adjoined (saMyukta) when jeeva experiences the saMsAra...Hence we can find the vAkya-s like : avidyA pratyupasthApita nAma rUpa mAyA, ahaMkAra iti avidyA saMyuktaM avyaktaM, avidyAdi antardOshavat mAyA, prakrutyA avidyArUpaH saMyOgaH saMsAraH (prakruti /mAyA and avidyA both are entirely different hence bhAshyakAra used the saMyOga pada to adjoin these two) etc.  Shakti is mAyA it is not avidyA because Shakti and jnana are intrinsic qualities of brahman.  Sri SSS detailed all these subtle aspects of vedAnta in mAndUkya rahasya vivrutti ( kArAnAvidyA in sushupti),  gaudapAda hrudaya, sugamA and avasthAtraya chandrikA.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar