[Advaita-l] World is mind alone: Shankara

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 23:16:02 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:13 PM, sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l <

> Dear Friends,   Clarification for the following questions is requested
> :     (1) Does the mind exist prior to the appearance of the world?     (2)
> If the world is mind only , then why there is distinction and difference
> between mind
>           and matter which is perceptible?     (3) Do the mind and the
> world appear simulteneously?    ( 4) If the world is mind only then this
> doctrine comes under the category of IDEALISM,

Dear Sir,

The answers to your questions are already there in the very first post on
this topic and a few others that followed it. The Cosmic Puruṣa's mind is
what the entire world is. In Vedanta, the mind is also matter alone, being
pānchabhautika. See the BG 13.5 and 6 where kshetram is described: mind,
along with its thoughts/transformation, and the outside world of matter are
all prakrti, matter, only. The world and the mind appear simultaneously
since when the mind lapses into sleep no world is experienced and when the
mind wakes up from sleep, the world is experienced. The bhashya to the
mundaka mantra cited says this. This doctrine does not come under idealism
since the unchanging consciousness, that is distinct from the kshanika
vijnana of the bauddha, is there as the adhishthanam of the mind and the
world. The seer kshetrajna is distinct from mind-world.

All these were already stated either implicitly or explicitly.

regards
vs