[Advaita-l] Debunking Drishti-Srishti Vada and Eka Jiva Vada - part 1

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jul 27 02:18:40 EDT 2017

Humble sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Kindly pardon me if you feel I am stretching this.

What I was trying to say ‘ in any context’ if there is any dispute / contradiction of opinion among the vyAkhyAnakAra-s while interpreting the SAME bhAshya vAkya, we should go back to the original to know the intention of mUlabhAshyakAra.  The example I have given was, in case if there is any contradiction between smruti and shruti, as a traditional practice or as a rule of law in the tradition, to accept shruti alone and interpret smruti texts to reconcile and avoid seeming contradiction in smruti texts.  Here too, we have to give first and foremost priority to shankara’s mUlabhAshya if there is any contradiction among vyAkhyAnakAra-s on the same statement of mUlabhAshya.

And with regard to Advaita prakriya meant for refutation, again, my intention was to say : on this basis of texts / vyAkhyAna-s written by alien schools or offshoots of orthodox Advaita tradition for the purpose of mere refutation of dualistic objections, we should not come to the conclusion that these works have indeed the genuine methodology advocated by shankara in prasthAnatraya bhAshya.  And to know the methodology (prakriya) of shankara, go back to shankara since vyAkhyAnakAra-s are not unanimous in their conclusion it is not a source material to decide shankara prakriya.

My apologies if I said anything wrong.  And I take your word as final in reply to this.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar