[Advaita-l] Debunking Drishti-Srishti Vada and Eka Jiva Vada - part 1

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 07:12:29 EDT 2017

//The reason I'm saying these two things is that there is no substitute for
trying to understand Sankara bhagavatpAda's teachings from the original
granthas.//

Problem with Shankara bhAshyas as I have observed is that they require secondary bhAshyas to understand them if one grants that Shankara would not contradict himself.

(For example, in the mANDUkya bhAshya, Shankara is very conciliatory to the Buddhists whereas he adopts a tough stance in the BSB.)

(Similarly Shankara considers brahman as the sole cause of creation at one place and at another place he inexplicably brings in a shakti without which brahman cannot do anything.)

One can similarly see that these secondary bhAshyas would require further bhAshyas to understand them and all this is covered up under the garb that an AchArya is needed to understand advaita.

We started with trying to understand the various teachings of the prasthAna traya and ended up with trying to understand the various teachings of the bhAshyas.

Regards
Kalyan