[Advaita-l] Tamas, physical darkness, is a positive object

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 11:50:26 EDT 2017

   ..how can we say

eyes are the pramana to say that darkness is an object ... we cannot i
believe...

Regards
Ramachandra

Namaste Sri Ramachandra Sastry ji
If a person who is blind is taken inside a room and asked , whether there
is darkness in the room, he cannot answer. Same holds for a person who can
see but is led blindfolded in to a room . He has to open his eyes and use
the anupalabdhi pramANa to affirm that the room is dark. The viShaya for
this exercise of anupalabdhi pramANa which definitely needs functioning
eyes, is tamas at the visual level viz., darkness. (We cannot see any guNa
directly but can see it's effects or manifestation)

The modern theory of light is to only explain the physical reasons for the
experience of tamas.

That tamas  which is considered bhAva rUpA is also at play in the case of
vishaya aGYANam.

Why don't I know Russian  (language)?
The modern model of learning and knowledge is to say that there is absence
of Russian knowledge (this way of articulation may be useful, perhaps) but
we should not loose sight of the shAstra vision of how any knowledge is
revealed viz., that there is a pratibandhaka (intervening obstacle) of the
nature of tamas which prevents the arising of knowledge of Russian language
in a given antahkaraNa. By approaching a teacher etc., this tamasic
obstacle to the vishaya GYAnam of Russian is removed and thereby the
knowledge will stand revealed in that particular antahkaraNa.

The above represents my understanding of the question.

Om
Raghav

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Ravi Kiran via Advaita-l <

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <
>

> > > On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Ramachandra Sastry via Advaita-l <
> > > advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote
> > >

> > > << Therefore, how can we say darkness has a objective existence. >>,
> > >

> > > Based on experience.  When a child closes its eyes with lights on, it
> > does
> > > not see any light. But it experiences no fear. Let us say the lights
go
> > off
> > > when the child has still closed its eyes, and then opens its eyes.
Does