[Advaita-l] Debunking Drishti-Srishti Vada and Eka Jiva Vada - part 1

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 03:05:12 EDT 2017

Reg   << Can the phrase 'Tat Tvam Asi' be interpreted based on our personal
preference or should it be interpreted based on what Uddalaka said to
Shvetaketu in the context of Chandogya? Can the Mahavakyas have multiple
implied meanings? Aren't the two interpretations >different from each
other? Did Shankara interpret 'Tat Tvam Asi' in this fashion?
>Isn't it clear that Madhusudana Saraswati, in an attempt to prove DSV
re-interpreted the mahavakya, thus thereby differing from Shankara? >>,

In my understanding, the mahAvAkya appropriate for DSP (version discussed
by Swami Vidyaranya in his Anubhutiprakasha) is

<< इदं सर्वं यदयमात्मा >>  Br. Up. 2-4-6

<< idaM sarvaM yadayamAtmA >>

and the clue the sAdhaka resorts to as an aid for maintaining this
understanding is

<< स्वप्नवत्  >>   <<  svapnavat  >>.

The prakriyA does away with the need to understand the terms तत् (tat)
(Iswara/Brahman), त्वम् (tvam) (jIva) and असि (asi) (negation of difference
between the two) required in the SDP which Swami Vidyaranya terms the
राजमार्ग (rAjamArga), the more arduous one as compared to DSP which is the
चोरद्वार (choradvAra), an easier shortcut.

The suitability of the two prakriyAs depend on the adhikAri, SDP being
vichAra oriented and DSP being upAsana oriented in my understanding.

Regards

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>