[Advaita-l] Tamas, physical darkness, is a positive object

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 01:31:54 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:46 AM, sreenivasa murthy <narayana145 at yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

> Dear friends,
>   Who is the seer of the tamas? A serious and sincere student of Vedanta
> who is a mumukshu
> should direct his attention to the SEER and never to the SEEN.
> "AtmasaMsthaM manaH kRutvA" so says Bhagavadgita. Why not we heed to this
> advise of the LORD? Any amount of discussion on the seen is a futile
> excercise and and waste of time for a mumukshu who has thirst to know his
> true nature.

Sir,

What you say is absolutely true. Yet, the Bhagavadgita for example teaches
the kshetram, the seen, as the reference point for the knowledge of
kshetrajna, the seer. The Vedanta Brahman/Atman is devoid of any attribute
 and that makes the task of the Shruti very difficult. So, it devises the
method of teaching the seer-seen connection to teach the aspirant to focus
on the seer and identify himself with that. Of course the process includes
rejecting the seen as unreal, neti neti.

regards
subbu