[Advaita-l] Traditional works on Drishti-Srishti-Vada (DSV)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 22:08:01 EDT 2017

Dear Praveen ji,

To this list can be added the Mahabharatha that Shankara cites in the BSB
2.1.1:

 महाभारतेऽपि च — ‘ बहवः पुरुषा ब्रह्मन्नुताहो एक एव तु’ इति विचार्य, ‘ बहवः
पुरुषा राजन्सांख्ययोगविचारिणाम्’ इति परपक्षमुपन्यस्य तद्व्युदासेन — ‘
बहूनां पुरुषाणां हि यथैका योनिरुच्यते । तथा तं पुरुषं विश्वमाख्यास्यामि
गुणाधिकम्’ इत्युपक्रम्य

Here the MB raises the question as to whether there is one or many purushas
and concludes that there is only one purusha. It is this one purusha that
is admitted in the scriptures as imagining the 'many' being in samsara.
So, this is an instance of ekajiva vada.

Also, the Mahopanishat has volumes of content for Ekajiva/DSV.  All these
verses are admitted to be in the Laghu Yoga Vasishtha. Many of these verses
are cited in the JMV by Swami Vidyaranya.

The Adhyatma Ramayana too has the Advaitic content of one person imagining
the world/samsara.

The Purusha sukta: वेदाहेतं पुरुषं महान्तं....सर्वाणि रूपाणि विचित्य धीरः

The Vishnu purana is yet another text where there is huge advaitic content,
apart from the Srimadbhagavatam.

regards
subbu

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <