[Advaita-l] Regarding Padmanabhaswamy

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 05:07:24 EDT 2017

A bhashyakara, when he expresses his disagreement with his opponent
doctrine, he is referring to the proponent of that doctrine and those close
to him. It is not merely the doctrine that was critiqued but the proponent
as well. By the time of Ramanuja, all three, Shankara, etc. were there. It
is only by the time of Madhva, Jayatirtha, etc. Prakashatman, Chitsukha,
Sriharsha, were already there.

It is surprising that you did not find the attacks on Shankara such as 'of
sinful tendencies', '“One who studied the Vedas in the shop of a Mādhyamika
Buddhist” (referring to Shankara’s parama-guru Gauḍapada'' etc.
inflammatory.

regards
subbu