[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

Durga Prasad Janaswamy janaswami at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 23:02:38 EDT 2017

Hari Om,
Namaste.

Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam 6.2.9 and 10
The chanting of the holy name of Lord Viṣṇu is the best process of
atonement for a thief of gold or other valuables, for a drunkard, for one
who betrays a friend or relative, for one who kills a brāhmaṇa, or for one
who indulges in sex with the wife of his guru or another superior. It is
also the best method of atonement for one who murders women, the king or
his father, for one who slaughters cows, and for all other sinful men.
Simply by chanting the holy name of Lord Viṣṇu, such sinful persons may
attract the attention of the Supreme Lord, who therefore considers,
“Because this man has chanted My holy name, My duty is to give him
protection.”

Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam  6.2.14
One who chants the holy name of the Lord is immediately freed from the
reactions of unlimited sins, even if he chants indirectly [to indicate
something else], jokingly, for musical entertainment, or even neglectfully.
This is accepted by all the learned scholars of the scriptures.

Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam 6.2.8
The Viṣṇudūtas continued: Even previously, while eating and at other times,
this Ajāmila would call his son, saying, “My dear Nārāyaṇa, please come
here.” Although calling the name of his son, he nevertheless uttered the
four syllables nā-rā-ya-ṇa. Simply by chanting the name of Nārāyaṇa in this
way, he sufficiently atoned for the sinful reactions of millions of lives.

One scholar told me that Sridhara vyaakhyaa on this sloka  (6.2.8)  says
that it is not arthavaada.
Learned scholars in the list can translate Sridhara vyaakhyaa  for the
benefit of people like me.

thank you and regards
-- durga prasad

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <