[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:46:30 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Kalyan via Advaita-l <

> I get your point. I was trying to understand why the purohit insisted on
> the name of nArAyaNa alone, among all names of vishnu, and this story came
> to my mind. Also see this verse from the bhagavatam in this story -
> https://www.vedabase.com/en/sb/6/2/8
>

> etenaiva hy aghono ’sya kṛtaṁ syād agha-niṣkṛtamyadā nārāyaṇāyeti jagāda
> catur-akṣaram
> Translation: The Viṣṇudūtas continued: Even previously, while eating and
> at other times, this Ajāmila would call his son, saying, “My dear Nārāyaṇa,
> please come here.” Although calling the name of his son, he nevertheless
> uttered the four syllables nā-rā-ya-ṇa. Simply by chanting the name of
> Nārāyaṇa in this way, he sufficiently atoned for the sinful reactions of
> millions of lives.
> RegardsKalyan

The Bhāgavatam 4.4.14 has a verse spoken by Sati, Shiva's consort, to her
father, Daksha Prajapati:

यद्द्व्यक्षरं नाम गिरेरितं नृणां
सकृत्प्रसङ्गादघमाशु हन्ति तत् ।
पवित्रकीर्तिं तमलङ्घ्यशासनं
भवानहो द्वेष्टि शिवं शिवेतरः ॥१४॥

The two-lettered name of 'Shi-va' even if uttered just once amidst common
talk would quickly free one from sin.

There is a famous verse about the uttering the name 'vishnu':

मूर्खो वदति विष्णाय विद्वान् वदति विष्णवे।
उभयोः सदृशं पुण्यं भावग्राही जनार्दनः।।

Not knowing the correct form, one utters 'viṣṇāya' while a learned man says
'viṣṇave'. Both attain the same merit, for the Lord is pleased by the bhāva
rather than the uttered word.

regards
vs