[Advaita-l] Regarding Padmanabhaswamy

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:30:55 EDT 2017

A very learned contemporary scholar of the Ramanuja school, Sri Velukkudi
Krishnan, during one of his tours to the USA and Canada, while addressing
his hosting groups, made this advice: 'You may be asked in society by
others to visit Shiva temple by saying 'are we not visiting Vishnu
temples?'. But you should not pay heed to such entreaties.'   And he
related the incident from the life of Ramanuja: While walking on a road
there was a heavy downpour. Someone from a Shiva temple called Ramanuja to
come inside for shelter from the rain. Ramanuja refused saying that just as
a chaste woman would not go to another man, he would not step into a Shiva
temple.

I heard this talk some years ago. This scholar acknowledged that the
Ranganathashtakam is of Shankaracharya. He also brought out a few fine
points from Appayya Dikshita's 'Varadarājastava.'

regards
subrahmanian.v