[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 05:40:00 EDT 2017

I get your point. I was trying to understand why the purohit insisted on the name of nArAyaNa alone, among all names of vishnu, and this story came to my mind. Also see this verse from the bhagavatam in this story -
https://www.vedabase.com/en/sb/6/2/8

etenaiva hy aghono ’sya kṛtaṁ syād agha-niṣkṛtamyadā nārāyaṇāyeti jagāda catur-akṣaram
Translation: The Viṣṇudūtas continued: Even previously, while eating and at other times, this Ajāmila would call his son, saying, “My dear Nārāyaṇa, please come here.” Although calling the name of his son, he nevertheless uttered the four syllables nā-rā-ya-ṇa. Simply by chanting the name of Nārāyaṇa in this way, he sufficiently atoned for the sinful reactions of millions of lives.
RegardsKalyan

    On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:23 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

 On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, Kalyan via Advaita-l wrote:

> There is a story of Ajamila in the Bhagavam on the speciality of
> chanting the name nArAyaNa at the time of death -

Ajamila was not chanting Narayana (meaning the name of Bhagavan) at all
but calling for his son who had the same name.  The moral is that the
names of Bhagavan (all of them not just  Narayana) have power even when
spoken unconsciously.  (The implication being how much more powerful must
they be if used deliberately.)

Instead I would trace the custom to the Vedic concept of Vishnu/Narayana
as a traveller.  In two steps he spanned the worlds and with the third he
reached the "highest place." (viShNoh parama padam) so He would be the
perfect guide to bring the departed jiva higher.