[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jul 12 05:52:34 EDT 2017

praNAms
Hare Krishna

The mind must play a role here otherwise we can make a computer to say Hari Hari in the background we are doing Sravana of Bhagavan Naama and we expect to go to Vaikuntha. That will not work. No body can unconsciously get Moksha. Minimum requirement is Mind must be devoted to God. If you see Gayatri Japa they say you have to do Mental Japa. Why? Because if you do loud Japa your Mind will give responsibility of Japa to the Tongue and Mind will wander to some other thoughts like family matters, money matters and so on. Gayatri Japa will be on Tongue but Mind will be thinking totally different thoughts.  In Mental Japa Mind cannot run away like that.

>  Yes, that is true.  Mana shuddhi illadavage mantrada phalavenu, tanu shuddhi illadavage teerthada phalavenu asks purandara.  This reminds me the story where different abodes achieved by a Brahmin priest and a prostitude despite their contradictory karma-s.  yad bhAvam tad bhavati...and that is what geetAchArya also comfirms by saying : antakAle cha mAm eva smaran muktvA kalevaraM yaH prayAti sa madbhAvaM and there is no doubt in it.  Yam yaM vApi smaran bhAvaM......sadA tadbhAvabhAvitaH too strengthen this farther.

If Mind is devoted and sometimes there is a mistake it is alright. But saying mechanical Japa with no role played by Mind will fetch Moksha is ridiculous. Mind must be towards God also. All this Naama Japa comes under Upaasana. In Upaasana Mind must be there. We cannot ignore Mind. That is why they to say to atheists question 'Show me where is God?' the answer 'He is in devotee's Mind'. The Mind is the Universe and it has everything. If it wants it can be interested in worldly life or turn to God.

>  mana eva manushyANAm kAraNam bandha mOkshayOH...vrutti mAtraM advaita jnanaM says bhAshyakAra somewhere :-)

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar