[Advaita-l] Regarding Padmanabhaswamy

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 05:35:33 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Aditya Kumar via Advaita-l <

> The Cholas were probably the best rulers with high regard for Dharma in
> the entire South India/Deccan/south-east Asia region. Indians by default
> are very tolerant and never indulge in extremism. It baffles me how Chola
> kings did this. Is there a Chola side to the story as well?

About the Chola kings: https://jaideepprabhu.org/tag/
sri-ranganatha-swamy-temple/

 //It is worth noting that though the Cholas were Shaivites and the
squabbling between the different *matha*s had started in their time, they
continued to support all *dharmic* institutions within their realm.//

// Apparently, the shrine was moved outside the temple premises during the
reign of Kulothunga II in the early to mid 12th century but was returned to
its present location by Krishnappa Nayak in the mid-1500s.//

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulothunga_Chola_III

//He is credited with building a number of temples, including the
Sarabeswara <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarabeswara> Temple at
Tribhuvanam in Kumbakonam <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbakonam> district,
Tamil Nadu, as well as the renovation and repairs to the two temples
proclaimed as tutelary deities of the Cholas, namely the Shiva
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva> temple at Chidambaram
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chidambaram> and the Sri Ranganathaswami
Temple <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Ranganathaswamy_Temple,_Srirangam>
 of Srirangam <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srirangam>. //

There are references to the effect that for the Chola-s, both Shiva and
Vishnu were kuladeivam.