[Advaita-l] Regarding Padmanabhaswamy

Venkata Subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 05:12:14 EDT 2017

On this particular matter about Govindaraja murthi having been consigned to sea by a chola king - one has to refer to the brilliant analysis by Dr. Nagaswamy.   In his recent work on Ramanuja, he mentions about this.   Cholas were completely vaidik in their attitude and patronized both Srirangam (Vishnu) and Chidambaram (Shiva) and there is no evidence in any chola inscription to point out their animosity towards vishnu.
The point is during the Vijayanagar empire time in many vishnu devalayas the then existing stucco murtis were replaced by granite stone images is a note worthy point as per him.  Citing instances of replacements, the way I understand his language is that he thinks perhaps the earlier murti was requiring replacement in the due course of its getting wornout and the replacement could have been done.  The earlier murti could have been sent to the sea - which, some how has got this animosity comment.
Very interesting read his book on Ramanuja.     Thanks & Regards, Venkat. Sadgurubhyo Namah.