[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 01:55:55 EDT 2017

Namaste

If only Naama and not Bhaava will grant Mukti even a Mleccha can say
Naaraayana on his death bed and go to Vaikuntha. But it is not like this.
Ajamila was a good Brahmin earlier. He was following his Dharma properly.
But one day he saw in the forest one beautiful prostitute was having sex.
His mind got disturbed and he fell down from his Brahmin duties and went to
the prostitute. Then his life was spent with her and on the death bed he
called his son Narayana. Because he called out 'Narayana' and he had also
good Samskaaras earlier the Vishnu Dootas took him to Vaikuntha.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> I always wonder whenever I hear this story.  How can mere calling his son
> 'nArAyaNa' at the death bed confused nArAyaNa, the lord's  'dUta-s' and
> mistook that he indeed chanted nArAyaNa nAma with all bhakti bhAva and took
> him to vaikunTa lOka??  No bhAva only nAma would grant us the sAlOkya /
> sAyujya mukti then ?  Or is this mere eulogy of power of nArAyaNa nAma??
> Not sure.  But purandara dAsa sings in Kannada, neenyAko raNga ninna
> hangyaako, ninna nAmada bala ondiddare sAko.  ( a rough translation : Ranga
> (vittala / nArAyaNa) I neither need you, nor your grace, the power of your
> name is enough for me) But here also bhAva is aimed towards his ishta
> devata 'purandara vittala' unlike in this case of ajamila where he just
> remembered and called his mortal son's name nArAyaNa.
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

Regards

-Venkatesh