[Advaita-l] For Shankara, Vishnu, etc. are only illusory forms of Brahman

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jul 12 01:16:18 EDT 2017

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, sreenivasa murthy wrote:

>   Thank you for your kind response.
> I conclude this posting  with this Upanishad mantra.
>      ihacEdavEdIdatha satyamasti
>               na cEdihAvEdInmahatI vinaShTiH ||Kena upanishad; 2-5
>
>      The meaning is very clear.

See what I mean?  You haven't actually engaged with anything I wrote.
Instead you just quote a mantra whose meaning is indeed clear to me
(Though not necessarily to others on the list.  Did you think of them?)
but does not seem to be relevant to anything previously discussed.

As per Sitarama Shastri's translation:

"If one knows (that) here, then there is truth.  If one knows not (that)
here, there will be great loss.  The wise, seeing the one Atman in all
created things, having turned away from this world, become immortal."

It's about sannyasa.  How does that relate to discussion about the
relative positions of Shiva and Vishnu?

Look, many members are content to remain silent and read.  I don't think
that is the best policy but I understand it.  Others are willing to jump
in and discuss with each other.  That I understand too.  But to just talk
to yourself?  What is the point of that?