[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:33:01 EDT 2017

Namaste

In 2-2-42 Sutra Bhashya Adi Sankara has agreed Narayana is the Supreme.
Gaudapada also worshipped Narayana in Badari forest. Mahabharata begins
with Narayanam Namaskrutya Naram Caiva Narottamam. Therefore  Narayana of
the Narayana Sukta is the Para Brahman because He is approved by our
Acharyas, the Smruti-Itihasa-Puranas and Sruti.

Vaishnavas may say only Vishnu is Narayana but Saivas will argue like this.

Narayana word has to be examined. What is Narayana?

There are two ways.

नारायणपदेन नराणां समूहः अयनं यस्येति विग्रहम्

The Place of Refuge of Men or Naraaha is Narayana.

Or

अथवा न विद्यते राः धनं यस्य स अराः निर्धन इति यावत् । स निर्धनो न
भवतीति नाराः धनाधिपः कुबेर इत्यर्थः । तं सख्येन अणयति संलपतीति नारायण
इति व्युत्पत्तिमाश्रित्य शिव एव गृह्यते ।

Raa is wealth and Araa is poor person. Naaraa is not poor person. This
means he is Lord of Wealth Kubera. He is talking Anayati to Kubera as
a friend. Therefore He is Narayana. He is Siva only. This is the
meaning.

Siva and Kubera are friends because one name of Kubera is Sivasakha.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:20 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

>  If someone dies and nobody else is (no children, for example) coming
> forward to do the initial cremation, any one can volunteer and do that out
> of humanitarian consideration. It is colloquially known as "Govinda koLLi"
> and does not involve any duty to even perform the 13 day rituals.
>
> In fact among smarthas of Karnataka the obsequies culminate in the
> 'vaikuntha samaradhane.' No special puja to Vishnu, yet it has come to be
> called so.
>
> vs
>
> On 11 Jul 2017 20:05, "Kalyan via Advaita-l" <
>
> > When a dead person is being prepared for funeral also, the nArAyaNa name
> > alone, among all names of Vishnu, is chanted. I have seen the purohita (a
> > smArtha) objecting when some people tried to chant other names of Vishnu.
> >
> > In North India however, I think they chant the name of Rama.
> >
> > Regards
> > Kalyan
> >
> > For assistance, contact:
> > listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org