[Advaita-l] Shankaracharya on 'Guru'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 22:27:19 EDT 2017

A nice incident on this verse of Shankara:

It seems a teacher of a Pāṭhaśālā of the Madhva maṭha headed by the late
Sri Vidyāmānya Tirtha in Udupi gave up on a particular student. The pontiff
told the teacher, 'I will not agree to what you say. Should you not do all
that is required to bring the student up to the mark?' and cited this verse
of Shankara.

Dr.A.V.Nagasampige, a noted Madhva scholar, who was present at that time,
shared  this incident in a recent seminar on Shukla Yajur Veda in
Bangalore.