[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Akhandarthavaada Criticism - Slokas 1-972 to 1-980

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 01:52:50 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 2:35 AM, Srinath Vedagarbha <svedagarbha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l <
>>

>> The lakshana that the Advaitin resorts to is not the ajahallakshana
>> exemplified by the above example of Ganga. On the other hand it is the
>> jahadajahallakshana of the type 'so'yam devadattaḥ' where there is no
>> signifying any 'related' object like the gangātīra.. It is akhandarthata
>> where the very same 'vyaktimātra' Devadatta is involved, only with the
>> incidentals like the place, time, apparel etc.
>

> Even in prayOga  'so'yam devadattaḥ' , the pada "dEvadattha" should refer
> to the anuyOgi by its mukhyArtha if the intension for the identity has to
> make sense.

The word 'devadatta' refers to the person alone and no one else.

> Btw, jahadajahallakshana (which is quite unique to AV only and none others
> accepts it) is used for aikya in identity statement. It is not used as
> mukhyArtha vs.lakshyArtha point of view of a pada used.

This is like saying 'the phenomenon of gravitation is followed only by
Newtonians.'  Adhyatma Ramayana mentions this lakshana by name and shows
the usage. I have pointed out the exact verses in this forum before. A
Madhva scholar has discoursed on the Adhyatma Ramayana.  I have mentioned
the details before.

vs