[Advaita-l] Defintion of anubhava

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 08:28:57 EDT 2017

Namaste Chandramouliji,

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 5:04 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Reg  << The word anubhava gives a sense of immediacy without dependency
> on karaNas,
> more than the word jnAna does. >>,
>

> This leads to identifying at least one difference between the two terms
> अनुभव (anubhava) and ज्ञान (jnaNa) in the context of Brahman.  While the
> term ज्ञान (jnaNa) can be qualified as परोक्ष (parokSha)  and अपरोक्ष
> (aparokSha) and both are meaningful, the same cannot be said of अनुभव
> (anubhava).

​I mentioned the sense of immediacy of the word anubhava only w.r.t. jnAna
as two words in those forms. If qualifiers are added, they can be added to
अनुभव also, although परोक्षानुभव is a word unseen, the usage would mean
परानुभव or अननुभव, else the qualifier leading to the title अपरोक्षानुभूति
would not be needed. (I have already said that अनुभूति and अनुभव have exact
same connotation with different suffixes). Ergo, I don't see any difference
between ज्ञान and अनुभव with same qualifiers.

​
​
Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */
​