[Advaita-l] Defintion of anubhava

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 07:11:15 EDT 2017

Namaste Subbuji,
​

> Very true.  Just see this sentence of the Br.up. bhashya:
>
> तस्मात् आत्मा वै अरे द्रष्टव्यः दर्शनार्हः, दर्शनविषयमापादयितव्यः ;
>
> So, Atman has to be made a vishaya! Certainly this does not contradict the
> Advaitic position that Atman is aprameya or avishaya, etc. What is intended
> here is that it has to be a vishaya for the vritti. मनसिवेदमाप्तव्यम्. न
> तत्र वाग्गच्छति,नो मनो ...
>
> Bhamati holds that it is the  upahita brahman that is vishaya for the
> vritti. Madhusudana has taken this in the Advaita siddhi in reply to the
> opponent.

​Wonderful. In this context, I also like Vidyaranyamuni's ध्यानदीपप्रकरण
where he recommends निर्गुणब्रह्मोपासन and refutes objections to it by
saying that if निर्गुणब्रह्मोपसन is not possible, निर्गुणब्रह्मज्ञान is
also not possible, something that I landed on after using similar logic
with someone who questioned as to how निर्गुणब्रह्मोपासन is possible!
Undoubtedly, I was so happy to read that. :)

​urupAdukAbhyAm​
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */