[Advaita-l] Fwd: Is there a 'Hari-Hara Avatāra' of Viṣṇu?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:43:50 CST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Siva Senani Nori <sivasenani at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Is there a 'Hari-Hara Avatāra' of Viṣṇu?
To: V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>

Sir

I can't read Tamil and so don't know the exact views.

In the Telugu speaking area, Hariharanatha is well known in the works of
Mahakavi Tikkana, a 13th century poet. He is one of the kavitrayam who
translated Vyasa Mahabharatam into Telugu. Tikkana, who translated the
fifteen parvans from Virataparva to the end dedicated his work to
Hari-hara-natha. As is the custom at the beginning and end of each book,
there are poems which invoke Hariharanatha. These number about 215 and
constitute a fairly complete description of the tattva of Hariharatattva.
There is a a scholarly commentary on this portion by Oruganti Nilakantham
Sastry written in the first half of twentieth century which establishes
with extensive quotes from Upanishads etc. that this is nothing but
Advaita. However neither the author nor the commentator say who exactly is
Hariharanatha. There are some five or six essays on this topic in Telugu
with various theories, one of them suggesting that Hariharanatha is none
other than Lord Venkateswara.

The name is said to occur in Harivamsa and that some details are available
in one purana, Bhavishya or Matsya (not too sure). I am sorry that I can't
dig out the resources (I found that searching Puranas is very time
consuming).

Regards
N Siva Senani

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 at 4:37 am, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l