[Advaita-l] Dayanand Saraswathi interview - Very interesting stand taken by Swami

Kripa Shankar kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:47:43 CST 2017

Namaste Bhaskar,

Apologies for the delayed response. From what we know, there are broadly two ways for a sadhaka. One is to follow the varna Ashrama dharma as per the rules. But due to various reasons, it is not possible for everyone to follow it, like lack of a home, wife etc. In such a case, they don't belong to any Ashrama (even varna doesn't matter in such a case). However, as per the rules, even they are eligible for Moksha. The path laid out for them is : upavasa, japa, dhyana, daiva aradhana, Mouna (or nyasa) etc. It is basically tapasya. So we already have quite sophisticated system, wherein all exceptions are duly considered.

Now all this is for ajnanis. The only scenario which is not included above is that of a jnAni by birth. Now this is an oxymoron in itself because a jnani should not have rebirth as per the definition. The examples given below are in no relation to the case of RM imho. ‎For instance, in the case of Raikva, the King hears about him from swans:). Whether it's an allegory or did people back in day had skills to decipher swans, we do not know. All the examples given, justifications rather, are riddled with such outlandish comparisons. It should also be noted here that, this is not an obscure thing. For eg, How did everyone come to know the secret of Karna's birth? It was because of sages like Vyasa and narada. Narada narrates a divine reason for Karna's birth to pacify Yudhishthira who was disturbed to know that Karna was his elder brother. So it is indeed possible for sages to have a yogic vision and only such personages of extraordinary sight (a Rishi) can conclude if a person who hasn't followed any rules of conduct(if there is such a one)  is a jnani or not.
‎
In such cases, the answer will be a certain yes or a no. Because the Rishis don't say anything worthless even in jest. All these examples are such. As for the ajnanis are concerned, we have to follow either of the paths. If someone claims that I became a jnani just like that or if even the whole world says so, we have to resort to shastras alone for conclusions.  If we start building castles in the air, such a sophisticated system of Vedanta will fall flat on it s face and merge with the nAstika school of nondualism.

Regards
Kripa ‎

yo vedAdau svaraH prokto vedAnte cha pratiShThitaH |
tasya prakRRiti-lInasya yaH parassa maheshvaraH ||