[Advaita-l] On yajna
bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jan 17 06:23:35 CST 2017
praNAms Sri Srinivas Gadkari prabhuji
Philosophizing the (vedAnteekaraNa) yajna vidhi-s (like OM TATSAT) is good and palatable for the jnAnArthi-s..Like in adhyAtma rAmAyaNa we can always think rAma is parabrahman and seeta is mahaa mAya etc. But IMHO, that should not stop us to know the practical procedure that has been followed in these rituals according to scriptural injunctions. And this effort is in that direction only. Hope you are with me here.
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
Here are some points related to yajna in general, based on my understanding:
- om, tat and sat expand respectively into
brAhmaNa-s/ brahma vAdi-s, veda-s and yajna-s.
- Shri Jnaneshavara has clarified in his commentary
on gitA, that these three respectively relate to
states before karma is performed (om), while karma
is performed (tat), and after karma has been performed (sat).
- So yajna is the act of contemplating on karmas performed
using 'sat' (auspiciousness) as the guiding principle.
- So yajna can involve:
- offering noble karmas to gods,
- prayaschitta for not so noble karmas,
- retuning citta vritti-s that are predominant when we perform
karma-s if we find that they are out of alignment with our
desired ('sat') goals.
- So what may be purpose of an animal or any offering
in a yajna?
- any offering must be related to some aspect of karma-s
- animals likely relate of specific strong citta vritti-s
- if retuning of citta vritti-s can be achieved without
actually killing any animal, that would be by far the
most recommended approach.
More information about the Advaita-l mailing list