[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:10:06 CST 2017

Dear Sri Chandramouli,

This and many other similar stories are there, but cannot be given any
historical credence. And I'm sorry to say, nor do they have much
traditional value. The various Sankaravijayas were composed in the time
period between 1350 and 1850 CE. Commentaries on the major such texts, like
DiNDImA and advaitarAjyalakshmI on the mAdhavIya, were written around the
turn of the 19th century. There is no hint about this legend in any of such
texts.

When we want to make historical conclusions out of numerous such legends,
we need to have some self-consistent way of evaluating what is pramANa and
what is not. Otherwise, we will be left with lots of internal
contradictions and inconsistencies. I'll leave it at that!

Best regards,
Vidyasankar