[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 11:29:13 CST 2017

Dear Subbuji,

I think Sri  Nava Shankara was indeed a great scholar and if I remember correctly the manuscript, which Pathak found and on that basis he (Pathak) wrote a paper, Nava (Abhinava) Shankara was born  in 788 CE in Chidambaram. This Nava Shankara is reported to have also written many texts including bhashyas and had gone to Kashmoir as well as to Kailash. There might have some confusion in the past as the name of both Adi Shankara and the Nava Shankara was Shankara.  It appears that Anantaanandagiri  had written a biography of Nava Shanaka.  Antarkar had done some work on the shankaravijayas  as part of his PhD work but did not continue that work to sort out all confusions

May be there is scope for more research and hope some university or some organization will sponsor PhD level research in this area.

Regards,
Sunil KB