[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 12:34:09 CST 2017

Namaste Venkataraghavanji,

Thank you for your mail. I received a copy of  T.K. Gopalaswamy Aiyengar's paper entitled "BhAskara on the Gita" presented at the GIta SamIkshA conference held in Tirupati on March, 1970. Thank you anyway.

1)
You consider the examination of authorship of  Shakara (also called Nava Shankara) as unnecessary and called it hypothetical. You dismiss Prof. Karmarkar's peper to be of no substance, even without reading it.  Did  prof Gopalaswamy refute the arguments of Prof. Karmarkar ?  I think you have taken decision too early.

2)
You have written
“In any case, factual, objective evidence of BhAskara quoting Shankara verbatim will outweigh weaker, subjective proof such as language differences. Language differences could be due to a whole host of reasons:it is a common occurrence that same author may use different writing styles at different times, sometimes within the same text, a different person may have transcribed what may have been Shankara's lectures on the gIta to his shishyAs etc. We need not assume straight away that a different person wrote it.”
May be you predecided the issue,without even reading Karmarakar's paper.

3)
You think that the 745 verses in the original Bhagavad Gita is interpolated. Have you read that text or it is just a prejudice

4)
You also wrote
If Bhaskara quoted Shankara, there is no doubt that Shankara bhAshya preceded his and by consequence, Sri Ramanuja's. So the basis for your objection - that it could have been 700 verses as a response to Ramanuja - is invalid.
Unquote

If that is the case, it could be that Shankara (Nava Shankara) wrote the Bhashya before Bhaskara.

Regards,
Sunil KB