[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The purpose of the analogies of clay, iron, etc.in the works of Advaita Acharyas

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 21:39:42 EST 2017

PraNAms
When I mentioned that rope/snake example comes under praatibhaasika while the clay-pot and gold-ornament comes under vyaavahaarika, even though both are vivarta, someone questioned what has that to do with praatibhaasika.
As I see why Shankara brings both vyaavahaarika and paatibhaasika under the same roof in terms vivarta. The common theme from both is the adhyaasa part with ignorance coming in for cause for projection. In the rope/snake case the ignorance of the rope and in the clay-pot and gold-ornament case the ignorance of upaadana kaarana (clay and gold) and giving importance only the projected snake in the case of praatibhaasika and perceived pots and ornaments in the case of vyavahaarika.
In both cases we have intermixing of satya (truth) and anRita (false) aspects - as satyaanRita mithuneekaranam for unitary experience of snake at praatibhasika level and pots and ornaments at the vyaavahaarika level.  Hence cause for creation is also implied in combining these two levels of experiences.

Thus both jeeva sRiShTi and Iswara sRiShTi are involved in the total human experiences - Hence the example of dream state is also brought in to account for this maaya shakti to nidraa shakti as Vidyaranya discusses in the 13th Chapter as he discusses the mud-pot example further.

Hari Om!Sadananda

      From: "V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com [advaitin]" <advaitin at yahoogroups.com>

    The purpose of the analogies of clay, iron, etc.in the works of Advaita Acharyas
In the Bhashyas of Shankaracharya in some places we have the clarification for the purpose behind the shruti taking the analogies of clay, etc.