[Advaita-l] About Moksha or Enlightenment

Kripa Shankar kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:01:28 CST 2017

‎Namaste Venkata Sriram,

I must say, you have hit the nail on the head. My doubt arised exactly because of Lakshmi, the cow who was apparently given enlightenment by the 'sheer grace' of RM.‎

Because of such claims, I am trying to understand the basics, the pillars of Shastras once again. I too thought of gajendra but then it could have been just a mukti from the clutches of crocodile. But then again, Abinava Gupta is a very illustrious nam‎e to take things lightly. I am still somehow skeptical because the other conditions will not be valid.

For example, krishna doesn't explicitly say animals and birds. ‎It is just a commentary and commentaries don't enjoy a greater status in pramana.

Next is, it becomes apparent that enlightenment can be given by guru's will alone. So a question may arise, why doesn't gurus like RM give enlightenment to everyone in the world with compassion? We cannot argue that the students should be prepared / mature / ready because obviously, humans are better positioned than a cow, any given day. Another question props up - can enlightenment be distributed like sweets?

This also will go against what Adi Shankaracharya says that jnana alone is the cause for Moksha. He does not anywhere say that there are other ways to Moksha apart from jnana. He doesn't say Moksha can be attained either through jnana or Grace.

Regards
Kripa

yo vedAdau svaraH prokto vedAnte cha pratiShThitaH |
tasya prakRRiti-lInasya yaH parassa maheshvaraH ||