[Advaita-l] Need explanation

Kartik Vashishta kartik.unix at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 18:32:07 EST 2017

It is contended by some that the world is not such an utter negation of
Reality, that the world of names and forms is in the being of Reality, that
plurality cannot be a nothing, that diversity which is real is indwelt by
the Supreme. It is also held that the individual is not the Absolute until
it realises the Absolute, that the process of change and evolution is a
perfect truth and not an appearance, and that the quality of the Absolute
is not attributable to the individual at any time.

It is not difficult to note that indwelling is possible only when the
Indweller is different from the indwelled, that is, when there is a second
entity.

Query: Does this mean that there is something outside the absolute which
invalidates the hypothesis of duality?

 To assert that God pervades the diverse beings and that God impels all
actions is a trick played by the cunning individuals flowing with the
current of instinct to get a license of objective indulgence. The
self-expression called the world is not a deliberate objective act of the
Absolute, for we cannot say that the Absolute acts.

Query: Activity cannot be attributed to the absolute, is this what in these
lines invalidates duality?

It is an undivided appearance without any ultimate logical reason for its
existence or disappearance. Hence we often come to the conclusion that
appearance, subsistence, disappearance, bondage, life and liberation are
eternal!

Query: How do we come to the aforesaid conclusion? Is it because the world
is eternal?

An undivided change is no change.

Query: While I understand this I fail to see the relevance of the above
sentance in the critique of duality.

 Eternal transformation is changelessness, and it cannot be considered as
any motion at all.

Query: How is eternal transformation changelessness?

Thus, appearance would become eternal like Reality, and two eternals
contradict the Absolute. This proves the invalidity of the existence of
appearance.

To assert diversity is to deny absoluteness. It does not, however, mean
that the Absolute excludes the diverse finitudes, but the finite is
eternally dissolved in or is identical with the Absolute, and therefore, it
does not claim for itself an individual reality. It is argued that to
ignore differences is to reduce the Absolute to a non-entity. The Absolute
does not depend upon the reality of egoistic differences. By cancelling the
relative we may not affect the Absolute, but we, so long as we are
unconscious of the fundamental Being, improve thereby our present state of
consciousness.

Individuality is in every speck of space and these egos must be so very
undivided that diversity becomes an impossible conception and homogeneity
persists in every form of true reasoning in our effort to come to a
conclusion in regard to the nature of the Absolute.

Query: How are the individual infinite egos undivided?
Query: How does diversity become an impossibility?

We may blindly assert difference, but it is not possible to establish it
through any acceptable reasoning.

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <