[Advaita-l] Did Shri Rama really abandon Sita?

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 08:41:16 EST 2017

 Sorry for flurry of posts. My last one for the day. But seems like Uttara Kanada is indeed a fanciful interpolation. If abandoning Sita didn't rattle your Dharmic sense, this another incident might help. The infamous incident of Rama killing a 'shudra' ascetic features in the same Uttara kanda. But Rama is not the real reason for his hate/bigotry against Shudras performing Tapas. A Brahmin complains that his son had died mysteriously and so he stages a dharna! in Rama's palace. Rama enquires his council which features illustrious sage like Narada. They say that a 'Shudra' is performing Tapasya which has caused the death of ONE random Brahmin boy. So Rama gets his aerial car! and scouts his kingdom. When confronted, the 'Shudra' expresses his wish to go to heaven in his mortal form! Rama, without much ado kills the 'Shudra'! for performing Tapasya!! Finally, the gods shower a flowery rain for preventing a 'Shudra' from entering heaven.
So in uttara kanda alone, Shri Rama is a misogynist, an oppressor of down-trodden and most importantly a Brahmin incites the king to kill the 'Shudras'. Hmm...where have I read that before? :D
Full details : https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/343/why-did-sri-rama-banish-lady-sita-when-he-was-a-witness-of-her-fire-test-himself/8999#8999