[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: Re: Re: shankara speaking on behalf of or speaking to ??

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 02:57:49 EST 2017

Shankara's Manīṣā pañchakam third stanza says that 'the jivanmukta has
submitted his body-apparatus to prārabdha':

https://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/snsastri/Manishapanchakam.pdf

shashvannashvarameva vishvam akhilam nishcitya vAcA guroH nityam brahma
nirantaram vimRishatA nirvyAjashantAtmanA |

bhUtam bhAvi ca duShkRitam pradahatA samvinmaye pAvake *prArabdhAya
samarpitam svavapurityeShA manIShA mama ||3 3.*

 Having come to the definite conclusion, under the instruction of his Guru,
that the entire universe is always perishable, he who, with a calm and pure
mind constantly meditates on Brahman, and who has burnt his past and future
sins in the fire of knowledge, submits his present body to the operation of
his prArabdha karma. This is my conviction. Note. Karma, in the sense of
results of actions performed, is divided into three categories . (1)
sanchita karma—the accumulated results of actions performed in past births,
(2) prArabdha karma-- those results of past actions which have given rise
to the present body and (3) AgAmi karma— the results of actions performed
in the present birth. On the dawn of Self-knowledge the first category is
completely destroyed along with the third category acquired up to the time
of attainment of knowledge. After the dawn of Self-knowledge any action
performed does not produce any result in the form of merit or demerit. The
second category, prArabdha karma, is not destroyed on the attainment of
Self-knowledge, but has to be exhausted only by being actually experienced.
On the exhaustion of this category of karma the body of the enlightened
person falls and the jIvanmukta becomes a videhamukta. This is brought out
in the above shloka by the statement that the enlightened person merely
submits his body to the operation of prArabdha karma.

subbu