[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** All the three states are dream alone

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Aug 28 05:26:58 EDT 2017

praNAms Sri Jaykumar prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Though waking state is also equivalent to dream in the sense the the jeeva is ignorant of the Self and the jeeva is perceiving the non-existance, can we (who are in spiritual pursuit )  justify of giving a bit more importance to the waking state because of the following reasons :

1.       Let alone ignorant ones, even wise people give more importance to
waking state and re-collect, share and talk about waking state experiences more than dreams and sleep.

2.       Wisdom or Self knowledge takes place only during waking state.

3.       In the vyavakarika time-scale, waking state is longer than sleep
and dream states

4.       Only in waking state we vaguely remember dreams and recollect about
sleep and dream experiences.

5.       Variety with Continuity like experience appears only in waking
state .

 Therefore, doesn't waking states enjoys an edge in importance more than the other two statesin 'vyavakarika' plane of reality?

>  Your all other points can equally be treated by bringing in the dream state 'reality'. (1) In dream also we collect some experiences, share and talk about some other state / event etc.  (3) But when you are experiencing the dream it appears it is long lasting one...sometimes we experience the life from bAlya to vAridikya in a single dream itself..time scale is quite relative we cannot compare dream time scale with that of waking.  Because the socalled time scale restricted to that state only.  Same way your points (4) and (5) also be answered.  But, yes, your (2) point is quite valid when it comes to sAdhana.  Nobody of us , who are vehemently trying to prove both states are one and the same, dare to say since waking and dream are one and the same (so says mAndUkya shruti also !!) , I will do my sAdhana in dream not in waking, because in waking I have some other priorities to attend :-) And shAstra also says for the dream karma there is no karma phala  since it is mere saMskAra vAsana of the waking world.  stUla shareera vyApAra ( the transaction of gross body) is absent in dream but from the point of view of manas and its transaction there is no difference between jAgrat and svapna.  But in waking state the Ishwara srushti will bring curtains to manOvyApAra.  We cannot forget ourselves by thinking something in waking state in the middle of the traffic road, vehicle horns, abuses of fellow travelers would bring back us to the  waking state, hitting the wall, pillar while walking thinking something would bring us back to 'sense'  :-) More importantly pApa and puNya that we do in the svapna prapancha will not bring us the resultant phala since it is mere 'seeing' not 'doing'...drushtaiva na krutvA ..puNyancha puNya phalaM pApaN cha pApa phalaM.  So, to do the sAdhana in a meaningful way, we need the waking state, wherein Ishwara srushti is available for us to experience our karma phala.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar