[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: adhyAsa is substantiated

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 21 08:44:41 EDT 2017

Shri Venkatraghavanji,

I wrote:

There is absolutely no scope for vyAvahArika sattA in DSV, since existence
implies its dRShTi. There cannot be objective reality. Even the bhAmati
school which advocates DSV NJV, realizes this and admits a "kind" of
vyavhArika sattA based on sAdRshya of the worlds created by jIvas. If you
see a pot and I see the "same" pot, the same-ness is due to the
*similarity* of the world created by you and the world created by me. The
two pots are effectively different. This is a kind of pseudo-vyavAhArika
sattA. Of course, in the DSV EJV, there is no other jIva and any objective
reality is ruled out.

A couple of clarifications. If by vyAvahArika sattA is meant something that
exists independent of dRShTi, then the six entities
(except shuddhacit) jIva, etc. mentioned before qualify to be called
vyAvahArika. They are not created by dRShTi. In that case, one may object
and say sattA traividhya which was denied, has been brought back into the
system. However, it is only a dispute over names, because all the objects
of the world, jagat, including jagat itself, are clearly treated as
prAtibhAsika. The term vyAvahArika means different things in SDV and DSV.

The other clarification is regarding another flavor of DSV that is found in
VidyAraNya's works, such as the brihadAraNyaka-vArtika-sAra, where it is
stated "yena yad dRshyate tattu tena sRShTaM svakarmaNA| dRshyasya
bhrAntirUpatvAt darshanaM sRShTirucyate|| (1.5.7)". The commentator on this
verse, MaheshvaratIrtha, interprets it in light of the Ishvara sRShTi and
jIva sRShTi concept that is found in the PanchadashI, so as to reconcile
both views. Ishvara creates the objects of the world, but the jIva views
them as belonging to three categories- upAdeya (to be obtained), heya (to
be avoided), and udAsIna (indifferent). This *dRShTi* of the jIva towards
the objects of the world is his sRShTi and Ishvara has nothing to do with
it. Hence, the world is jIva-kartRka-sRShTi again. Further, if we consider
Ishvara sRShTi only, even that is through the dRShTi of Ishvara, as per
VidyAraNya's explanation of the nRsimha-uttaratApanIya words, "ihedaM
sarvaM dRShTvA."  VidyAraNya's explanation is: iha pratyagAtmani idaM
sarvaM jagaccharIracatuShTayarUpaM dRShTvA, sRShTvA dRShTireva sRShTiH,
where it is significant that Ishvara creates by His sight. By the way, this
ties in nicely with the Saundaryalahari verse that Shri Praveenji posted.

Anand