[Advaita-l] DSV in Saundaryalahari

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 01:51:35 EDT 2017

​​Namaste Anandji, Subbuji,
​​

​"Perhaps, that is the reason why devatAs are not
supposed to blink their eyes like us humans.

Thats an interesting point. On Lalitasahasranama name quoted by Subbuji, I
found an add-on to what you say; that is quoted towards the end here.

Lakshmidhara mentions that there is an utprekShA alaMkAra here in this
verse."​

I saw that the other day in the commentary, but I don't quite understand
alaMkAras. Could you please elaborate utprekShA alaMkAra as to what
Lakshmidhara means in the context?

2017-08-​
​18 12:56 GMT+05:30 V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>:

> In the Lalitāsahasranāma the name: उन्मेषनिमिषोत्पन्नविपन्नभुवनावलिः
> occurs in the same sense. There is a prakriyā क्षणे क्षणॆ सृष्टिः, क्षणे
> क्षणे लयः.

​
​
​Under that ​verse of Lalitasahasranama, there is an Saubhagyabhaskara says:
उन्मेषनिमिषौ नेत्रविकाससंकोचौ ताभ्यामेव क्रमेणोत्पन्ना विपनाश्च सृष्टा
नष्टाश्च भुवनानां ब्रह्माण्डानामावल्यः पङ्क्त्यो यस्यास्तथा देव्या
अनिमिषत्वेऽपि
​*​
प्राणिकर्मवशेन तयोरुत्पत्तिसंभवात्
​​
। इच्छामात्रे तात्पर्यात्।
* ​
तदुक्तमाज्ञावतारे ’इच्छायैव जगत्सर्वं निगिरद्युद्गिरत्यपि’ इति।
’इच्छामात्रं प्रभोः सृष्टिः’ इति च। कालिदासेनाप्युक्तम्
’दृष्टदृश्यदृशिलक्षणं जगत्प्राक्स्मृतेस्त्वयि तदम्ब संहृतम्। उन्मिषत्यपि
पुनस्त्वदुद्गमे त्वल्लये निमिषति त्वदिच्छया’ इति।
(Translation by R. Anantakrishna Sastriji):
Since the eyes of Devi never close, the expression
​"​
opening and shutting" refer to the influence of the
​
destiny of beings, or to her mere wish. The Aj
​n​
avatara
​
says,
​"​
by her mere wish the whole universe appears and disappears
​.
 The creation of the supreme is simply the expression of His wish."
Kalidasa also says, " The
universe consisting of the seer, the seen and the seeing, with all its
parts, existed in you before you thought (of
​
creation). At the manifestation of the universe at your will, your eyes
open, at the destruction of the universe (at your will) your eyes shut."

​Further, I think there is an old Hindi quoted later:
​
Goraksanatha in his Maharthamanjari says, " The moment occupied by the
Highest Teacher in the creation is the same as that occupied in the
destruction of the universe."

And if there is a doubt as to who this Lalitamba is, other names therein
clarify चितिस्तत्पदलक्ष्यार्था, तुर्या, etc.

This beautifully sums up DSV in other works too.

​gurupAdukAbhyAm
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */