[Advaita-l] dRShTi-sRShTi definitions in the advaitasiddhi

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 05:35:55 EDT 2017

Namaste Praveenji,
I agree with your views below.

As you say, we have to bear in mind that these are all great AchAryas and
that every prakriyA will have both its benefits and its drawbacks.  One
man's lAghavam is another's anubhava/shAstra viruddham. lAghavam in one
place will be gauravam elsewhere.

For example, in discussing drishyatva hetu for mithyAtva, vivaraNAchArya
has to introduce gauravam by including shabda ajanya in the definition of
drishyatvam as vritti vyApyatvam so that there is simultaneously no
vyabhichAra and no shAstra vaiyarthya in the case of shuddha brahman, but
the bhAmatikAra does not.

Ultimately it is down to one's preference.

The bhAmati has answers to the other questions that you raised below.
avidyA upahita chaitanyam is the Ashraya for avidyA. It does not lead to
svAshraya doSha because of anAditva of avidyA, chaitanya and jIva. The
locus of avidyA is the jIva, and the object is Brahman. The viShaya of
ajnAnam and viShaya of jnAnam being the same, it is possible for jnAnam to
do ajnAna nivritti.

Anyway my point is not to prove one method is superior to the other, but
its opposite. No method is absolutely superior. I know I probably sound
like a broken record, sorry.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan