[Advaita-l] dRShTi-sRShTi definitions in the advaitasiddhi

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 04:46:16 EDT 2017

Interestingly, among all later Advaitins, it is only Vachaspati Mishra who says Jiva is the Ashraya of Ajnana and Brahman is the Vishaya. This is very rational with no need of any convoluted justifications to prove it. But another question arises - how can Jiva- a product of Avidya be the Ashraya of Avidya? Vachaspati says because Avidya is Anadi (and so is Jiva). I am not sure if I comprehend it correctly yet. But again, this is a very valid argument. If I were to ask, who has Avidya? then the reply would be 'you', the person who is asking but we cannot say Brahman has Avidya. On the other hand, Vivarana justifies its position by saying - as there is nothing other than Atman, Atman itself is the Ashraya and Vishaya. I don't know from which work this is but here's how it goes - svaAshraya, sva-vishaya, svAnubhavagamya. Here I am not sure if Atman means jiva or para because svanubhava can only mean phenomenal experience. Further, if we say as there is nothing apart from Brahman and hence it is the ashraya, in the same vein we can say as there is nothing apart from Brahman, there is no Avidya!
I think while talking about the locus of Avidya, we have to assume that 'Brahman is all there is' is not established yet. Otherwise the conclusion itself will become a clause and hence result in absurdity.