[Advaita-l] World is mind alone: Shankara

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 08:47:10 EDT 2017

Namaste Venkateshji and others,

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

> There is a Laghava Principle also to be respected. If you give complicated
> explanation for something and I give simpler explanation for the same thing
> my explanation is acceptable.

​Moreover, *only* if the sRShTi is kalpitA, vivarta-upAdAna is possible.​
This is said by Bhagavan Bhashyakara so as सङ्गति to Mandukya Karika 3.23:
विद्यते सृष्टिप्रतिपादिका श्रुतिः ; सा त्वन्यपरा, ‘उपायः सोऽवतारय’ (मा. का.
३-१५) इत्यवोचाम ।
The Shruti revealing creation exists; however, that has commitment to
something else (non-duality), we have already said so “Ma. Ka. 3.15: that
description of creation is only to generate understanding”.

This means it is only a tool to lead to Advaita understanding, nothing
else. This is further clarified by Bhagavan Tikakara so: परिणामवादस्य
सृष्टिश्रुत्यनुसारेण स्वीकार्यत्वमाशाङ्क्य निरस्यति।  परिणामवादे विवर्तवादे
च सृष्टिश्रुतेरविशेषाद् अद्वैतानुरोधिश्रुतियुक्तिवशाद् विवर्तवादस्य एव
स्वीकर्तव्यता इति भावः। ... *मिथ्यासृष्ट्यनुवादित्वेन
कथमुपपत्तिरित्याशङ्क्य आह "सा तु अन्यपरा"। [The following verse] refutes
that "Parinamavada should be accepted in keeping with the Shruti about
creation". Due to possible non-distinction between Parinamavada and
Vivartavada in Shruti about creation, only Vivartavada should be accepted,
due the strength of Shruti conforming to non-duality; this is the idea.
Having raised a doubt so: "due to following mere statements/ illustrative
statements of *false creation*, how can there be their tenability?",
[Bhashyakara] says: that Shruti of creation is only committed to something
else [=NOT committed to creation, but non-duality].​

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

​