[Advaita-l] World is mind alone: Shankara

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Aug 1 07:59:11 EDT 2017

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Is IT the material cause for both the mind and world? If it is so the world can never be mind, it is IT only, is it not so? Please permit me to draw your kind attention to the kAryakAraNAnanyatvanyAya. Sri Shankara writes in his commentary to  Sutra 2-1-6 hus: prapaMcasya brahmaprabhavatvAt kAryakAraNAnanyanyAyEna brahmAvyatirEkaH ||

>  And we can further have the bhAshyakAra clarification how effect is nothing but cause in its svarUpa and kArya which has the abhinna nimittOpadAna kAraNa can never be a bhrAnta jeeva kalpita.  Just as brahman the cause never deviates from existence in all the three periods of time, so also the effect, the world NEVER deviates from EXISTENCE in all the three periods ( srushti, sthiti and vinAsha).  And existence again is ONLY one.  So for this reason also the EFFECT is NONE OTHER THAN THE CAUSE.  ( caps are my choice because of over enthusiasm to prove jagat is brahmamaya :-) If the jagat is jeeva srushti due to avidyA then we have to say this avidyA is on par with paramArtha tattva :-)  This type of 'anishta' theory can always be avoided if we remember bhAshyakAra's clarifications like this.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar