[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: Worship of Shiva or Vishnu lead to the same effect - Mahabharata

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 02:44:52 EDT 2017

Namaste
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> yo yo yaam yaam tanurbhaktaH sRiddhayaarchitumicchati|
>
> tasya tasyaachalam shraddhaH  taameva viddhyaamyaham||
>
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> Yes, in saNdhyAvandana we say AkAshAtpatitaM tOyaM…….sarva deva namaskAraH keshavaM pratigacchati. But Krishna in geeta says worship of anya devata (though ultimately comes to him) will be carried out due to ajnAna and it will be avidhipUrvakaM.  (yepyanyadevatAbhaktA …….yajantyavidhipUrvakaM…Since they donot know this it will be a downfall for them (tattvenAtshchyavanti te).  Result is those who worship devata would reach devalOka, observe pitru vrata get pitru lOka, proficiate bhUta attain bhUta And those who worhip ME they would attain ME only.  Though upAsya as kriya is one and the same upAsya devata are different and they would get different phala-s according to their upAsana devata.  Here only shankara makes it clear that worship of  vinAyaka, bhUta gaNa, sapta mAtruka etc. are tAmasa in nature and fruits one would reap accordingly.

It is not Devata but worship type is going to decide the phala. If the
worship is Tamasic the fruit will be Tamasic also. Because for the
same Devata different people can offer different type worship. Like a
Tamasic man will offer alcohol and meat to Devata Ganesha and a
Sattvika man will offer Modaka, Milk, Curds or Fruits to same Devata
Ganesha. Ganesha will accept both but give different Phala to each man
according to his worship. We should not say some Devatas are Tamasic
because all Devatas are Amaras like Indra and others. They have drunk
Amruta and they are all gods.

> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

Regards