[Advaita-l] Does Brahman's svaprakAshatvam make it mithyA?

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 20 00:39:20 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l
< advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> praNAms Sri Anand prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> MithyAtva is the same as sad-asad-vilakShaNatva. So a mithyA vastu,
example a pot or illusory silver/snake, can neither be asat (like a hare's
horn), nor sat (Brahman). You may say mithyA objects can be classified as
vyAvahArika (pot) and prAtibhAsika (illusory snake). The statement "vimataM
mithyA, dRshyatvAt" indicates there is a vyApya-vyApaka relation between
dRshyatva and mithyAtva, similar to the relation between smoke and fire.
> Where there is smoke there is fire. Anything that is dRshya (can be
known) is also mithyA. pratipannopAdhau traikAlikanishhedhapratiyogitvaM vA
mithyAtvam is one definition of mithyAtva which captures the fact that a
mithyA vastu will cease to exist in all three periods of time, once the
bhrama ends.

>>  thanks for your kind clarification prabhuji.  Hope you won't mind if I
seek further clarification on what you have written.

>>   I am finding it difficult to understand   mithyAtva is the same as
anirvachaneeya (sad-asad vilakshaNatva) and at the same time cessation  of
mithyA vastu in trikAla.  And the term asat  which has been clearly
explained by shankara that yadrUpeNa nishchitaM yat tadrUpaM vyabhicharat
anrutaM, This yadrUpeNa nishchitaM that vyabhicharati cannot be an atyanta
abhAva vastu like vandhyA putra or shasha vishANa..Because yadrUpeNa
nishchitaM cannot be attributed  to horn and putra and subsequently apply
the vyabhichAra.  Whereas vyabhichAra (changing) can be possible in
nishchita rUpa in  the sequence of clay-pot-clay-pitcher-clay-jug-clay etc.

>> And again when it comes to mithyA Vs anirvachaneeya.if we take the
example of rajju sarpa.  Sarpa is ofcourse mithyA it is mere kalpita jneya
due to the absence of yathArtha jnana of rajju.  And in this example where
can we accommodate sad-asad vilakshaNa when the rajju is kevala kalpita
jneya sarpa which was / is / will never be there in rajju ?? After
nishchita jnana of rajju would we say there was / is / will be
anirvachaneeya (or sad-asad vilakshaNa) sarpa in rajju?? I don’t think so
or am I missing something in this understanding?? Please clarify.

MithyA and anirvachanIya mean the same thing, sadasadvilakShaNa. Although
the traikAlika-niShedha holds for both the mithyA and asad vastu, the
crucial difference is that a mithyA vastu is perceived as existing
(sattvena pratIyamAna) in some substratum (adhiShThAna). In simple terms, a
rajju-sarpa, despite the realization that it never existed at any time, we
do admit it was perceived for some time in the rajju. This does not happen
for an asad vastu. We can never say that we saw the hare's horn somewhere
for some time and then realized it never exists. Or, in even simpler terms,
we have to admit a mithyA vastu to *appear* as real for some time in some
place, but an asad vastu will never appear as real at any place or during
any time period.

Anand